Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Disneyland

Yesterday was my 23rd birthday, and so I continued the tradition that I have had for several years of going to Disneyland. 
Of course I wore lolita.  Since I didn't feel like dealing with getting harassed at every entrance and such, I wore the least ostentatious of my dresses (Angelic Pretty Cotton Candy Tartan) and toned it down (no blouse, no big headgear, no extra pettis).  In all honesty it looked more like a nicer sundress than lolita to me, but no such luck. 
At the security check, the first thing they ask is how old I am (because I'm sure if I said 12 they would totally believe me) and informed me that I couldn't wear my costume in the park.  I, as usual, explained that it was a Japanese designer dress and asked for a second opinion.  The supervisor came over and was like "Um, you're fine, it's not a costume."  Horray! 
So we went over to DCA to go get fastpasses for World of Color and the lady at the gate asks the same thing.  Fortunately I was able to tell her that I had gotten cleared at security and she let me in. 

This is the trouble I have pretty much every time I go to Disneyland in lolita, no matter how much I tone it down.  They say I look too much like I work there.   Well, I would love to work there, but when I auditioned I got cut.  Sooo I will continue to wear what I want there.  In fact I eventually complained so many times about the harassment that they put a note on my pass that tells them to let me in as long as I'm not specifically dressed like a Disney character.

The most annoying thing about this is that my friends who are Asian?  No problem!  They don't even get stopped.  Even if they're dressed in much more extravagant outfits, it's fine!  My guess is because they assume that "Asians dress weird" or because they only Asian princess is Mulan, and she wears a traditional Chinese type ensemble so it couldn't be her.  It drives me nuts because it's pretty blatant racism.  I understand that Disneyland is just trying to protect themselves, but I'm not dressing like a character.  I'm dressing in a fashion that just happens to be more extravagant than the jeans and t-shirts that most people wear.  I feel like I shouldn't be punished for the fact that other people dress down.
I wonder what they'd say if I showed up in a prom dress.  It's fancy, but they can't really argue that it's a costume either.  And in my opinion that would look a heck of a lot more like a princess than lolita.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant.  Back to the actual time spent at Disneyland. 

We were able to get fastpasses for the 10:15 showing of World of Color, rode California Screamin' and headed over to Disneyland.

The first thing we did was take a picture in front of the Castle, which is something I always like to do. 
As usual I look like a giant next to Ashley haha!  I wish I was as tiny and cute as her, but of course she wants to be taller!

Then we went over to the Princess Fantasy Faire because despite the fact that I'm 23, I still like to take pictures with the princesses.  I don't like to drag my friends to do it usually since it's a bit of a line these days and no one else really cares, but since it was my birthday it was allowed lol
With Ariel.  Still looking like a giant!
With Mulan.
With Belle.  Dang all these girls are so tiny!  I guess that's probably why I got rejected, even if I lost like 20 pounds I'd still be huge compared to them! 

After meeting the princesses we went on rides.  This was interrupted by the fact that I started feeling a bit lightheaded, so we went to sit down in the health center.  It was apparently over 100 degrees so I think it just got to me.  After a bit of rest and water we went to eat and then I felt much better!

The rest of the night until about 8:30 was spent on rides, which was fun, but nothing to really write about since I've done them all so many times lol!  We did take a picture on the carousel though!

Then we went to see Fantasmic! which is my favorite thing at Disneyland.  It was amazing as usual, especially with the new dragon!  Even though it's Maleficent I still think it's amazing lol!

Then we ran (literally) back over to DCA to watch World of Color.  It ended up that our fastpasses were in the red section, which was over on the side, and we had quite a few people in front of us which made it difficult to see.  And for some reason the screens were very blurry; it was very difficult to make out was was being projected onto them.  I'm not sure if this was due to the location or some other reason. 

Everyone has been telling me how World of Color is amazing and so much better than Fantasmic! and I held firm that I doubted I would like it better than Fantasmic!.  After seeing it, while I'll admit that it was very pretty to watch and pretty cool, there's no way it could usurp Fantasmic! as the best show in the park.  For one thing, I felt that it lacked a sense of continuity and story.  It seemed like they just put a bunch of scenes from different movies and didn't make it mesh well.  I like that Fantasmic! has a story that's being told, and I also like that there are actors and such performing in the show, while World of Color is all water and light.  Of course, this is all based on my personal preference and is probably strongly swayed by the fact that I love Fantasmic! so much.

All in all it was a good day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment